JD Vance says “I won’t be watching the livestream of the execution.”
If I told you I’d sit down with popcorn to watch a man’s death on screen, you’d say comot body – no be joke. The Vice‑President of the United States, JD Vance, just dropped that line, and the internet is already buzzing like a Lagos night market.
The proposal to stream the execution of Nidal Hasan – the ex‑Army psychiatrist who killed 13 soldiers in 2009 – was meant as a deterrent, a grim public‑service announcement. Vance’s refusal is simple: “I’m not interested in turning a death sentence into a reality‑TV episode.” He called the idea “a distraction from the real work of preventing violence.”
Why Vance’s stance matters
- Political optics – Live executions could be used by opponents to paint the administration as cruel.
- Human dignity – Even the worst offenders retain a right to a private death, something many cultures still respect.
- Public desensitisation – Turning death into spectacle risks making violence feel normal, a danger for any society.
From a Nigerian street‑wise perspective, we know the power of spectacle. We’ve seen politicians parade promises like concert tickets, and the crowd jumps. But when the show is a man’s final breath, the hype turns sour. As someone who follows music trends, I see a parallel: the industry loves shock value, yet the audience eventually walks away when the art becomes exploitation.
So, sure guy, let’s keep the conversation on preventing future shooters, not on who gets the best seat in a virtual courtroom. The uncomfortable truth? We’re all too quick to watch drama, but we often ignore the quieter work of building safety before tragedy strikes.
